Hardware(?) issues with Eye Tribe

Forum to report issues and bugs on Apple OSX

Hardware(?) issues with Eye Tribe

Postby wasim » 30 Aug 2016, 21:48

We have one of your older eye trackers (30/60) and have used it collect preliminary data for an upcoming grant. When it was working -- it was great!

Unfortunately (and recently), the eye tracker stopped working. When plugging it into my USB 3.0 drive, the message on terminal varies from incorrect firmware, to not connected to a proper USB 3.0 port, to the device is connected but not working. The change in error message is unsystematic, but I believe it is caused by some sort of hardware/connection problem. I'm not a hardware engineer though.

Once I somehow managed to get it working after reconnecting it ~20 times, but the tracker failed to start during the (previously working) experiment, which is a researcher's nightmare.

I've attempted (for the last month) contacting info@theeyetribe re: this issue but it seems that they are really busy.

Please guide me through the next steps in solving this problem. I really enjoyed using the product and hope to start using it again soon.

Best,
X

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). OS X Yosemite
wasim

Re: Hardware(?) issues with Eye Tribe

Postby JeffKang » 02 Sep 2016, 18:11

connected but not working

I had this problem many times with my first tracker.
(Check my user name for past posts).
A replacement almost completely fixed it, but the error occurred in my 2nd tracker 1-2 times.
I had to try switching cables and ports.
I couldn't narrow it down to which part was the problem.
It's mostly fine now.
I just think there were some USB connector problems in their very early batches.
I would just get the Eye Tribe Tracker Pro, which I'm doing.
I think it's very close to shipping.
There'll probably be a large advancement in tracking accuracy, and maybe an increase in hardware reliability and/or experience.
JeffKang

Return to Issues and troubleshooting - OSX