Other programs open = cursor sporadic. close = still there

Forum to report issues and bugs on Windows 7, 8, and 10.

Other programs open = cursor sporadic. close = still there

Postby JeffKang » 08 Mar 2016, 10:53

There’s a small thing that I think i'm noticing.
When I let something like chrome run for a while (e.g. reddit slideshow of images), or use twitch, the tracker cursor will intermittently jump around sporadically.
The Eye tribe UI animated eyes are blinking.
The weird thing is if I close down chrome and other programs, the hopping around will still be there.

If I restart the computer, and just stick with the eye tribe and a small program like microsoft word, there are no issues.
That sounds like an underpowered computer, but I think that I have enough:

Core i5-3450 3.1GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Desktop
HDD

During the tracking irregularities, taskmanager might record something like only 10% CPU and 40% memory.

When Eye Tribe first came out, I only had windows 32, so I only utilized 4 gigabytes of RAM.
I think I had a similar eratic tracking problem when there were several programs open.
Most of this cleared up when I was able to use 8 gigs.

Maybe an SSD might help.
I think I remember some times where Google speech recognition on my tablet was performing better than Google speech recognition on my desktop.

I'm looking forward to the Eye Tribe Tracker PRO.
JeffKang

Re: Other programs open = cursor sporadic. close = still the

Postby JeffKang » 11 Mar 2016, 21:32

Nevermind.
It was probably coincidental.
I have an autohotkey script to hide the mouse cursor, so I forgot how jumpy the eye-tracking can sometimes be.
JeffKang

Re: Other programs open = cursor sporadic. close = still the

Postby Martin » 12 Mar 2016, 02:26

Hi Jeff,

Could be that the total CPU load on the system affects the software, all processes share available resources so if one application consumes too much it might slow down others. The system seems to be adequate, nowadays there's much faster CPUs than the i5-3450 (2012) but it should work alright.

SSD highly recommended, won't matter for the eye tracker but will make the overall system much more responsive. Once you go SSD there is no going back ;)

We're working on reducing the noise levels by improving the hardware, tracking/gaze estimation algorithms and post-processing filtering. The new Pro will be worth the wait for sure.
Martin

Return to Issues and troubleshooting - Windows