Speaking with the eyes !

Applications of eye tracking for accessibility, augmented communication and health care

Re: Speaking with the eyes !

Postby JeffKang » 12 May 2014, 23:20

Thanks a lot for making this!

I tested a couple minutes of it, and it looks like it could be a lifesaver for people that have difficulty affording the more expensive software choices (I don’t know what the older communication software options are. DynaVox? I saw some screenshots of DynaVox, and this free program looks like it’s capable of achieving most of the same thing DynaVox software does. It’s not easy to find the price right away, so I’m guessing that these kinds of software can be steep).

I have a repetitive strain injury of tendinosis (chronic tendinitis). Although it’s for more disabled people, there are some cool, general features, like the visual editor.

Managing a text file AutoHotkey script with a lot of macros can be such a hassle. You have to memorize a keystroke for each macro.

Even though the predefined actions that a cell can launch are more limited, it’s so nice to be able to launch an action by activating a labeled object, and not have to memorize something.

I’ll keep playing around with it later.

http://www.gazespeaker.org/forums/topic ... king-this/
JeffKang

Postby JeffKang » 20 May 2014, 19:54

Failing to download install file numerous times – unable to post on the Gazespeaker forums

Someone is having issues with downloading the install file, and is unable to post on the forums.

"karl o'keeffe
4:49 AM

Hi Jeff, I saw you had commented on the Gazespeaker site. You downloaded it and tried it out? I have tried numerous times over the last week to download the install file and it fails every time. I wasn't able to post on the Gazespeaker forum or contact them so I'm coming to you with the problem (sorry). Any ideas?"

Thanks.

http://www.gazespeaker.org/forums/topic ... er-forums/
JeffKang

Postby pierre » 26 May 2014, 21:14

Thanks Jeff,
The problem is now solved (It was due to the DB cache plugin which is now deactivated).
It is now also possible to log in to the Gazespeaker forums with an email address or a username.
I have also posted a new version (0.92 beta): support of alternating strabismus, bug fixes and support of the Tobii EyeX tracker.
Pierre
pierre

Postby JeffKang » 06 Jun 2014, 10:45

Drag and drop to switch cell positions – simulated, virtual click-hold (Send {LButton down}) doesn’t work

I don’t normally drag on the desktop. I remapped a button to simulate the holding-down/long-press of a left click.

End::Send {LButton down}

It’s more comfortable to avoid having to hold something down.

Microsoft has the Sticky Keys accessibility option so that you don’t have to hold down a modifier. Too much holding down, like in mouse dragging, and swiping on a touchscreen can be bothersome for people who suffer from a repetitive strain injury, or other people with motor disabilities.

A virtual click (Appskey::Click) releases the button. I think a “click” consists of a down press, and an up press. I can also physically press the left click, and I will also release a hold.

I tried to pick up a cell by tapping my simulated “hold down” button (Send {LButton down}), and I was able to lift the cell, and move it around. However, when I want to move it over a cell to switch positions with it, and I press a left click (I tried both a physical left click, and a virtual left click), they won’t swap.

If I pick up a cell by normally and physically holding down the left mouse button, and then I let go to a new location, cells will successfully move.

I’m guessing that with the way I do it, when I want to let go of the hold, and I press the click, there is a down press before the release. Since that down press may not be anticipated, that down press is what messes things up. (Instead of down, and then up, it’s down, down, and then up).

Would it be possible to allow this input method?

Thanks.

http://www.gazespeaker.org/topic/drag-a ... -not-work/
JeffKang

Previous

Return to Accessibility & Health Care