Eyetribe - Head Movements

Place to discuss eye tracking and related topics

Eyetribe - Head Movements

Postby dhaval.palsana » 21 Jan 2016, 22:28

How does the EyeTribe account for natural head movements (does it?) ?
How are head movements accounted for in the new EyeTribe PRO (if different)?

Sincerely,
DP
dhaval.palsana

Re: Eyetribe - Head Movements

Postby Martin » 26 Jan 2016, 11:15

Hi DP,

The first development-kit device does not account for head movements along the Z-axis (depth) from the device.

We know that's been a big limitation so we've worked hard on it over the last two years. New device resolves this issue. Other improvements for the new device is larger screens (up to 27"), higher frame-rate (+75), pupil size in millimeters, and more robust USB connectivity.
Martin

Postby lauranynkevanderlaan » 02 Feb 2016, 14:27

Hi Martin,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that TET accounts for head movements on the X and Y axes (head to the right/left/up/down),
but not for the Z axis (head forward/backward) relative to the device.

(1) Does TET indeed track the head and compensate for head movements?
(2) If so, could you use the device for research without using a chinrest?

I understand data quality would be more optimal when using a chinrest, however I'm interested in the size of this difference.
If you would indeed claim that TET works without the use of a chinrest, this would be an interesting question (which I will be answering).

Best,
Nynke
lauranynkevanderlaan

Postby bigpepperlo » 02 Feb 2016, 18:01

Dear Nynke!
I have to think that do not use the head fixation accuracy of the data is low. The reason - the micro-movements in the axis Z. you do not notice but the device very responsive.
Thank you!
bigpepperlo

Postby Cheveoner » 22 Jul 2016, 10:56

Martin wrote:Hi DP,

The first development-kit device does not account for head movements along the Z-axis (depth) from the device.

We know that's been a big limitation so we've worked hard on it over the last two years. New device resolves this issue. Other improvements for the new device is larger screens (up to 27"), higher frame-rate (+75), pupil size in millimeters, and more robust USB connectivity.

Hi Martin,

Is there any visual comparison available to see the effectiveness of the new head compensation? We are trying to implement our own, but it may be worth to give the 2nd gen evaluation kit a go, depending on the improved accuracy.
Cheveoner

Return to General Discussion